Friday, November 25, 2011

Turkey Day (sans actual turkey)

Well Happy Thanksgiving!  We all have so much to be thankful for this year. Today I'm saying an extra "thank you" for having my husband here at his home port for the holiday, the luxury of being a pampered puppy mom, and for the courage to start chasing my goals this year.

Jarrod had to work today, his regular every-four-days duty schedule happened to land today, so he was stuck on the boat all day. I took him in early this morning, and then went back to have dinner with him on the boat. It's the first time I've actually eaten boat food (usually if I go down for dinner, I'll make or pick up something and take it with me). It tasted pretty good, but it definitely wasn't prepared with the calorie-conscious diner in mind. But, I knew that was going to happen, so I planned for it and was careful with my portions, so I didn't go TOO far over for the day.

Jarrod and I got to talking about Thanksgiving, and we realized that neither of us really cares that much about turkey, but we both love the same sides. I personally love having leftover green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, and stuffing as a meal on the day after Thanksgiving.  So, since we didn't do a meal at our house, and wouldn't have leftovers, I figured I could just make the good stuff and skip the turkey altogether.  I have a real tendency to overindulge on those tasty comfort foods, so I knew I'd need to lighten up the recipes if I was going to have a whole pans of my favorites sitting in the fridge. So tonight, I whipped up some Lighter Green Bean Casserole, Sweet Potato Pecan Casserole, Cranberry Salsa, and while I was at it, a batch of Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal for breakfast.

Since I did so much all at once, I'm going to split the recipes and pics up into several posts over the next couple of days. For now, I hope you all had a blessed Thanksgiving Day, and are looking forward to a relaxing weekend ahead.

No comments: